Recent Water Damage Posts
A Professional Restoration Company Can Save You Money In A Water Damage
When your home or business is struck by a water damage event, such as a flood, burst pipe, or roof leak, you will see many restoration options in a google search. Here is why it is so important to carefully consider the company you choose to repair your property.
1. Evaluating exactly what can and cannot be saved in the property is crucial. This is where our experienced managers quickly determine the best course of action to save as much of the structure as possible. This first step can determine a huge chunk of your upfront costs for repair and materials for replacement.
2. Drying Equipment. If the company you hire is not using the best drying and air scrubbing equipment available, chances are they will need to use that equipment on your property for a longer period of time, costing you more money. Our techs are trained to work and act efficiently and we invest in the best possible restoration equipment so everything we do is efficient. In the long run, this is the best possible way to save our client's money.
3. We offer all phases of restoration and reconstruction services. Again, as we strive to be an efficient company we employ a team of talented and experienced craftsmen and carpenters to remove the need to hire subcontractors on your project and to be 100% sure your job will be completed professionally.
Colder Weather Setting In - Be Prepared
As we near closer to Christmas it is important to remember that freezing weather leads to a greater chance of frozen pipes and a potential for leaks and flooding. Even if you have not had an issue in the past there are steps you can take to ensure your home or business safe from this disaster.
1. Check your home or business for drafts and heat loss. Many times, especially in older homes, attic and basement insulation may become brittle or old and become ineffective in reducing drafts and cold spots. Check to see if your basement or attic has cold spots or failing insulation.
2. Installing a backup heat source. If you have an attached garage or a basement without heat this you have the potential for frozen pipes. Installing an additional heat source that turns on automatically when the room temperature gets too cold can save you from disaster!
Of course, if you ever do experience a burst pipe call our offices immediately. Our team of trained technicians will respond quickly to restore your home or business.
2018 Report: Above Average Rainfall Throughout the Northeast
It seems like it is raining every other day here in the northeast lately, so over here in our SERVPRO® of Long Island City office, we decided to figure out just how much more rain has fallen in 2018. Using tools available on the National Weather Service website we were able to generate this map showing rainfall accumulation for the year and comparing it to the average amount of rain for this time of year. As you can see rainfall along the coastal regions of Rhode Island, Connecticut, and New York are 4"-12" above average! This will be something to keep an eye on going into what many believe will be a busy hurricane season this year. If your home or business is near any of our located near a resevour, river, lake or pond keep our number on hand, we will continue to monitor the weather!
Water Extraction Reduces Overall Costs
As an insurance agent, adjuster or property manager you may wonder why SERVPRO extracts water from soaked rugs and carpets that will most likely end up being thrown away anyway! There are a few reasons for this; first, the weight of a wet carpet or rug requires more manpower to remove and move, so extracting water reduces the weight of the carpets to be removed significantly. This not only makes the material easier to lift and requires fewer technicians but it is safer for our technicians to handle, reducing on-site injuries. Also, by removing the weight of the water we reduce the amount of total weight of the waste removed, helping to keep waste removal fees down. Finally, by extracting and removing the water from wet carpets and rugs we are removing the water from the property entirely! The importance of this cannot be understated because removing water from the property quickly is the first step in preventing further structural damage and mold growth. Dragging wet rugs and carpets from a property without extraction can leave water behind and exasperate an already dire situation.
Flooded House, Now What!
All too often homeowners wait too long before contacting a water damage mitigation expert in the event of a flood. A good example is when an appliance (like the dishwasher or washing machine) breaks and leaks throughout the house. If you are lucky you realize the leak right away and are able to fix the problem before any real damage is done. But many times a small leak goes undetected for weeks until the leak expands and parts of the home begin to show water damage.
In one particular example, a two-story single family home was set up with the washer and dryer on the second floor. The homeowners left the machine running before leaving for the day and returned home to find the supply hose had become detached from the washing machine and was draining onto the carpets and throughout the house.
They attempted to dry the mess themselves and waited 5 days before contacting SERVPRO of Long Island City, multiplying the problem and damage to their home.